This article highlights the nutritional benefits of eating omena. Omena, also known as Silver cyprinid is a highly nutritious Kenyan delicacy that is mostly consumed by people from Western and Nyanza regions. It is more of staple food for those living in areas within the regions.
Omena is very delicious and full of nutritional value, especially for pregnant women and children.
Here are the nutritional benefits of eating omena.
Nutritional Benefits of Eating Omena
1. Omena is an excellent source of calcium which is essential in the formation and development of healthy bones and teeth.
2. It is a great source of important nutrients such as niacin, folate and Vitamin B12. The nutrients are major requirements in the energy forming process in the body.
3. Omena is a great source of amino acids that boost the immunity of the body. The amino acids help fight diseases, prevent malnutrition and other complications in the body.
4. Omena is rich in Vitamin D which plays a major role in the absorption of phosphorus and calcium. Vitamin D also helps in bones formation, improving the quality of sleep and general functioning of the body.
5. It is a source of Vitamin A and E which prevent poor vision and help in maintaining healthy skin and eye tissue.
6. Omena is very rich in proteins that are essential for the building and repair of body tissues. The proteins found in omena are also good and very important for pregnant ladies and children.
7. Contains polyunsaturated oils and acids such as omega 3 fatty acids which are good for maintaining a healthy heart and brain. This component makes omena a very good food for pregnant women and children.
8. Omena is a great source of iron and zinc. Iron boosts the immune system and helps in the formation of red blood cells that prevents one from getting anaemia. Zinc helps in breaking down carbohydrates in the body, wound healing, cell division and growth.